OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 07:09:24 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

>>I can use /root/.forward to forward them to my normal user
>>on my machine, but then I'm still stuck. I don't use mail,
>>or anything like that, actually to read mail, not only because
>>the tools are so terrible, but because I don't run a mail server.
>>I use Thunderbird to pull from my ISP using POP.
>

> Then why not point the alias to your ISP POP account?

I suppose you mean my ISP SMTP account. I don't know how to
do that. It's what I'm asking about. If I simply put

Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net

into

/root/.forward

then the mail ends up in the bit bucket. And, even if I could,
then there's also the thought that mail indicating attempts
to compromise my machine would be going OUTSIDE my machine.

>>I'd like to be able to get my root mail in my inbox, and have
>>it stuck into a folder in my regular e-mail.
>
> If you do the above, then root's email will end up in your INBOX and you
> should be able to use the filters of Thunderbird to sort your email.

I'm sorry to be dense, but I really know very little about
e-mail and how it works. I once forged a message from
George.Bush at whitehouse.gov to my girlfriend by using helo,
but that's about it.

How would I point an alias, or use /root/.forward, to do what you
suggest?

> Note: I don't use POP I use IMAP and I user my IMAP server's sorting
> abilities as well as Thunderbird's virtual folder feature.
>
> I would think that you could use the virtual folder feature of Thunderbird
> on your POP inbox...but I've not tested/tried that.
>

>>I'm sure there must be a way to do that, but I don't know what
>>it might be.
>>
>>Mike

You have found the bank of Larn.