OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:56:06 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Jacques B. <jjrboucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/20/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > I'd like to configure Thunderbird (and/or /root/.forward) so
> > > that e-mail to root shows up in my INBOX, and a filter automatically
> > > puts it into a Thunderbird folder (root). So far, I have not been
> > > successful in this. I have Thunderbird pulling using POP from my
> > > ISP. Anyone have advice?
> > >
> > > Mike

Just installed Thunderbird and noticed that it has a Movemail mail
account.  Check out here
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Creating_an_Account#Creating_a_Movemail_Account
for info on how to configure it (from there you follow a link to
Netscape page on setting up movemail).  Looks like it may do what you
want within Thunderbird.  If it's too much fussing, yum install
evolution if you don't already have it and either use it for your mail
client, or at minimum use it for your spool/mail client (that combined
with the suggestions I noted earlier to get proper rights to the
mailbox - I did chown root:myusername of /var/spool/mail/root, and
then chmod 660 of that same file so that my group could read/write to
it (although you may want to actually only chmod 640 to have read only
as group.

Jacques B.