How best get rid of SELinux?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Sep 21 18:34:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 13:04 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > this is one of the reasons it won't ever happen...
> >
> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/15/red-hat-linux-gets-top-government-security-rating_1.html
> >
> > feel free to keep posting your uninformed opinions though and I note
> > that this is clearly one circle where your opinions don't count.
>
> Uninformed? Who is more informed about what I like and dislike
> than me? I don't know what you mean by "circle", but if you mean
> that RH isn't listening, then I agree.
>
> Also, if by "uninformed" you mean "in regards to security
> software in general", then you are mistaken. I have designed
> some security software for telephony equipment.
>
> BTW, it isn't surprising that the government would approve
> of someone who follows its recommendations. Security is not
> my top priority for my machine. BTW, would you follow ALL
> the govt recommendations for securing a machine? I trow not.
----
Obviously Red Hat's sales potential for Mike McCarty driven sales is a low number but Red Hat's sales potential for government installations is likely to be a bit higher.

Red Hat is driven by potential sales. I as a user, like you can simply
'disable' SELinux...discussion done.

Informed means that you have systems running both with and without
SELinux so you have a comparative, subjective comparison to provide
something other than the anecdotal whining of those who do not fully
understand the tool sets available to maintain a system employing
SELinux as a strategy.

Thus, yes, I would consider you highly uninformed regarding the
usage/impact/worthiness of SELinux as a security layer.

As for any software design that you may be familiar with in terms of
telephony equipment, technology is changing rapidly and what worked 5
years ago probably isn't very worthy today.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>