Internet traffic and Azureus -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 23 17:22:45 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 9/23/2007 12:01 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> David Boles wrote:
>>
>>> on 9/23/2007 11:34 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>>
>>> Could be the dad too Bob. All those 'news' (CNN, MSNBC, etc) sites now
>>> offer streaming videos and those are downloaded *each* time you watch them
>>> if you chose to watch something again.
>>>
>>> 17 Gigs might sound like a lot, and for some it is quite a lot, but not
>>> for a family of 5 as you describe.
>>>

>> Yes, you are no doubt correct and of course this is the information I
>> needed to be able to understand the problem.
>>
>> 17 gigs down and 5 gigs up are the limits and they have been adequate
>> until recently.  Probably the result of Terry gaining experience in
>> using his new computer.  I'll have to warn them about the streaming
>> video from the news pages since that very well may be another source.
>>
>> Normally my philosophy has been I'm paying for the bandwidth so we might
>> as well use it but at the same time I check the usage every day in case
>> something like this should happen, a good thing I did as it turns out!
>>
>> Mainly it's a matter of finding the cause, then we can try to solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia
>>

> I don't recall you mentioning that there a 5 gig upload limit. What
> happens when you hit that? Bittorrent, for example, both sends and
> receives. Sharing. The 'polite' rule is to share, upload, at least as much
> as you download. Most don't.

Yes, I am aware that bittorrent is bidirectional but I suspect that can
be adjusted?  The data up has been increasing also but not nearly to the
extent of data down. Below is a sample of my usage for several days, the
third column is data up, the fourth data down, extracted from Wildblue's
FAP site:

        09/18/2007 08:16:48 1478 13400

        09/18/2007 17:24:16 1515 13561

        09/19/2007 06:12:35 1596 13977

        09/19/2007 17:50:26 1596 13901

        09/20/2007 07:15:21 1615 13860

        09/21/2007 04:41:57 1749 14907

        09/21/2007 16:55:05 1772 15113

        09/22/2007 07:22:10 1802 15296

        09/23/2007 04:58:40 1889 15739

I don't know what the kid did when he "installed" Azureus or what they
have attempted to do with it.  In fact I never look over Terry's
shoulder to see what he is doing.  All I know is the usage is high which
means that neither I nor my daughter can do the things we normally use
the connection for.  She is a photographer and a student and needs
internet access for both, I can't update a new F7 install until we get
this under control.

It may be simply over use of streaming video, not related to bittorrent
at all, I don't know, but we need to 'fix' the problem and we've got his
attention now.  There is no alternative to the limited satellite service
available in this rural area at the present time.  If Charter decides to
extend the cable half a mile up our road that might be a solution.  When
last I spoke to them they wanted $6000 for the install!

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia