How best get rid of SELinux?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Sep 24 18:54:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:34:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>

>> 	Well, I tried both again -- and they're still geek to me. I feel
>> like a kid doing well in high school geometry who has picked up a
>> third- year college calculus text, and found himself being told to
>> derive all the formulae in Peirce's Tables. Yaaa, shuuure ...
>
> I don't think you actually read the FAQ at
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-faq-fc5/ to a good extend since it
> already answers this but I will explain again.

	Well, I read the words (even though they warn me emphatically
that they're for FC5 only); and what's more, I followed the links, and
tried to read those -- despite the fact that the link to FAQs for other
releases only takes me round Robin Hood's barn. What I keep saying is
that I couldn't follow them.

	It's not that those are bad explanations; it's that the
prerequisites for being able to understand them are way, way beyond me.

	Here's another way to put it. Try picking up Lauri Hakulinen's
history of Finnish grammar and reading it. I have, twice, both in the
original Finnish, and in the German translation, on which LH himself
collaborated, with additions and updates. Of course, I was already a
practicing historian of tongues, with nearly twenty year's experience,
before I started. You are to linux what I was to Hakulinen; I'm not.

> Go to System => Administration => Firewall and SELinux. Enter your root
> password. Go to the third tab labeled SELinux, change the SELinux
> setting from Permissive to Enforcing and reboot the system.
>
> If you want to do the same from the command line
>
> edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and change SELINUX=permissive to enforcing
>
> # touch /.autorelabel
> # reboot

	All of that I did, the first time you spelled it out, for which
thanks! And reported here that I had done it. I'm not *trying* to
frustrate you, blast it all. I'm just nowhere near your class, nor likely
to live long enough to get near.