Help: GRUB tab completion not working

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 24 22:45:37 UTC 2007

Ian Chapman wrote:
: Dean S. Messing wrote:
: > Is this a known bug, or something I've done to my system?
: > If it's my system how do I proceed to debug it?
:
: Ok stupid question, but you're definately using bash right? What does
:
: echo $SHELL
:
: say.

Not stupid at all.

Outside of the grub shell:

 root at medulla ~]# echo $SHELL
 /bin/bash

Inside of the grub shell:

 root at medulla ~]# grub
 Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

     GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

  [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
    lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
    completions of a device/filename.]
 grub> echo $SHELL
 echo $SHELL

 Error 27: Unrecognized command
 grub> quit
 quit
 [root at medulla ~]#

Also, the commandline works properly outside of grub.

Dean