Internet traffic and Azureus -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 25 05:01:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 07:09 +1000, Res wrote:
> True unlimited or not, no ISP is in business to lose money, if all
> those other users who cost them only 20, start costing them 70, thats
> becomes a break-even or no-profit, add users like you and its a clear
> loss, you will find one of two things happening, prices skyrocket or
> your hit with data caps to stop the abuse so they can make a profit.

True enough, but I tend to think that those who've placed a dollar value
on the byte have inflated it's true value by a rather large magnitude.

I don't think unlimited is really needed, but if they started charging a
truely appropriate amount, we'd be better off.  If they had their way,
it'd be a dollar a byte.

It is typical for ISPs not to install the amount of infrastructure
really required for their clients.  That started with dial-up, with not
enough phone lines for the number of their customers that wanted to be
on-line simultaneously.  That problem's largely overcome, thesedays,
particularly with always-on DSL and cable, they've had to bite the
bullet.  But it's still common enough for them to not have enough
bandwidth for all their clients.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386