about hardware information

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 25 06:10:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 12:06 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> I should have stipulated "from Fedora" in the above. You knew that. ;-)

No, no I didn't.  I did *know*, however, that it is entirely possible to
install without a DVD, despite a strong assertion to the contrary.  That
was my quibble.

> Fedora usage is not going to spread if getting access to compatible
> media is difficult. Since you mentioned a third party, please provide
> the link(s).

I agree that DVD-only is a limiting factor, I encountered that myself.
I had to disassemble boxes to temporarily make use of drives from other
PCs, as I was unlucky enough to have a box that didn't want to network
install at the time.

I'll see if I can find them again, but they've been mentioned on this
list.  There were some places supplying discs, there were some torrents
for them, I recall reading about one or two download sites, and there's
ways to spin your own.  I'm sure I read a FAQ about this, allowing
people stuck in that boat to approach it the way that suited them best.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.5-76.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.