Help: GRUB tab completion not working

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:56:25 UTC 2007

On 25/09/2007, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Also I see in the "info page" the following notice:
>
>  Next: Invoking grub-install,  Prev: Troubleshooting,  Up: Top
>  File: grub.info,  Node: Invoking the grub shell
>
>  15 Invoking the grub shell
>  **************************
>
>  This chapter documents the grub shell `grub'. Note that the grub shell
>  is an emulator; it doesn't run under the native environment, so it
>  sometimes does something wrong. Therefore, you shouldn't trust it too
>  much. If there is anything wrong with it, don't hesitate to try the
>  native GRUB environment, especially when it guesses a wrong map between
>  BIOS drives and OS devices.
>
>  * Menu:
>
>  * Basic usage           How to use the grub shell
>  * Installation under UNIX  How to install GRUB via `grub'
>  * Device map            The map between BIOS drives and OS devices
>
> So, I take it that this means it is not using the system bash?

The GRUB shell is not equal to bash. It is a small shell which
implements the commands listed by the "help" command. The only form of
TAB completion it offers is completion of GRUB commands. E.g. when you
type "partn" and hit TAB, it completes to "partnew". Or when you enter
"con" and hit TAB, it completes to "configfile".

> Not sure what "the native GRUB environment" means?".

When you _boot_ your system into GRUB and enter the command-shell from
there as opposed to starting the GRUB shell from within a running
Linux OS.