FC7: NFS Server

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 20:48:05 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 11:59 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> > I wanted to configure an export in my newly installed FC7 box and
> > found that there is
> > no mountd and portmap in /etc/init.d.
> > I launch 'pirut' and realized that when you install FC7 there is no
> > NFS Server option
> > under the Servers category. I do have nfs-utils installed.
> >
> > I saw nothing regarding this in the FC7 release notes or archives. Any
> > comments?
> ----
> this should help (FC6 - FC7 should be similar)
>
> # which rpc.nfsd
> /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
>
> # which rpc.mountd
> /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
>
> # ls -l /etc/init.d/mount
> ls: /etc/init.d/mount: No such file or directory
>
> # ls -l /etc/init.d/portmap
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1877 Jul 12  2006 /etc/init.d/portmap
>
> # rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/init.d/portmap
> portmap-4.0-65.2.2.1
>
> # service nfs restart
> Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
>
> # service portmap restart
> Stopping portmap:                                          [  OK  ]
> Starting portmap:                                          [  OK  ]
>
> --
> Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

I'm running kernel 2.6.22.5-76.fc7.

Both the /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd and /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd files are present.
The /etc/init.d/mount and /etc/init.d/portmap are missing.

I went to the KMenu->System->Firewall and SELinux and made sure that NFS4
was check and restarted the nfs service.

# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS mountd:                             [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS daemon:                           [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                             [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS services:                           [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                    [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]

Nothing for portmap.
   # service portmap start
   portmap: unrecognized service
   # ps -ef | grep portmap
   root      5577  3316  0 13:23 pts/8    00:00:00 grep portmap

rpm says portmap is not present.
    # rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/init.d/portmap
    error: file /etc/init.d/portmap: No such file or directory

No rpc service running.
   # rpcinfo -p localhost
   rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Unknown host

# service rpcbind status
   rpcbind (pid 5172) is running...

Yum finds nothing.
# yum provides portmap
updates                  100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00

rpcbind.i386                             0.1.4-6.fc7            fedora
Matched from:
portmap

rpcbind.i386                             0.1.4-6.fc7            installed
Matched from:
Provides-match: portmap

Chkconfig gives me this for nfs
    # chkconfig --list | grep nfs
    nfs             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:on    6:off
    nfslock         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
Nothing for portmap
    # chkconfig --list | grep portmap

Yum does not find anything to install.
# yum install portmap
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

Find yields no output.
# find / -name "*portmap*"

So, clearly portmap is not installed. I'm tying to understand where I went
wrong with
the install in order for this to happen. And also how do you add the NFS
capability if
it were missing given that Pirut and Yumex show nothing regarding portmap?

thanks.
~Aldo.