FC7: NFS Server

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 22:18:56 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 14:22 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> >

> > On 9/25/07, William Murray <W.J.Murray at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> >         On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 15:00 -0400,
> >         fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> >         >
> >         > I wanted to configure an export in my newly installed FC7
> >         box and
> >         > found that
> >         > there is
> >         > no mountd and portmap in /etc/init.d.
> >         > I launch 'pirut' and realized that when you install FC7
> >         there is no
> >         > NFS
> >         > Server option
> >         > under the Servers category. I do have nfs-utils installed.
> >         >
> >         > I saw nothing regarding this in the FC7 release notes or
> >         archives. Any
> >         > comments?
> >         >
> >         > thanks.
> >         > ~Aldo.
> >            Hi aldo,
> >                 I'm a simpleminded gui user, but with
> >         nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-10.fc7
> >         system-config-nfs-1.3.25-1.fc7 and nfs-utils-1.1.0-3.fc7
> >         configuring it
> >         was OK.
> >
> >         But I then had terrible selinux trouble. See:
> >
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-September/msg02075.html
> >            Bill
> >
> >         --
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > I have the same packages as you do.
> >    # rpm -qa | grep nfs
> >    nfs-utils-1.1.0-3.fc7
> >    system-config-nfs-1.3.25-1.fc7
> >    nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-10.fc7
> >
> > But there is no pormap binary present in my system. I'm trying to find
> > some more
> > clues, but so far I'm not clear what went wrong. I did try the
> > system-config-nfs to
> > check properties and such, but it's hard to get away from the command
> > line once
> > you're used to it :-)
> ----
> yum install portmap
>
> sorry, I thought you would figure that out but you were close
>
> chkconfig portmap on # start automatically at boot
> chkconfig nfs on     # start automatically at boot
> service nfs start    # if it's not already running
> service portmap start # if it's not already running
>

> --
> Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>
>
> --

I get an error because there is no /etc/init.d/portmap script. Portmap is
just not there.
# chkconfig portmap on
error reading information on service portmap: No such file or directory

# service portmap start
portmap: unrecognized service

Like everyone else, I did a bunch of packages selection and de-selections
during the
install. So I'm scratching my head: what causes portmap to be excluded? How
do I get
it in my FC7 box?

I've done this NFS thing with RedHat and with previous FC releases. So I'm
confused: what's with FC7 and portmap? The answer might be simple but it's
eluding me.

Thanks Craig.
~Aldo