Still baffled by choice of ethx

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Sep 26 11:38:25 UTC 2007

Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> You can drop a HWADDR=<insert MAC here> line in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* to do this. I have such a
> line in my scripts now but I don't remember putting it there this time
> so it might be automatically added now.

Thanks.
I should have thought of that.

I'm still slightly baffled by one thing -
I can't see where the wrong setting for eth2 are stored,
which prevents this being used by my second WiFi device.
As far as I can see, the program does not even look at ifcfg-eth2 ,
it seems already to have decided that this is not the right interface
for this device.

Incidentally, does anyone understand why there are 2 further copies
of ifcfg-<IF> in /etc/sysconfig/networking/[devices,profiles] ?
Are these actually used?