preemtible Kernel

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Wed Sep 26 14:35:00 UTC 2007

Fernando Apesteguía schrieb:
> On 9/26/07, Boris Glawe <public at boris-glawe.de> wrote:
>
>>> Many did not use this feature in the past: Why?
>>>

> Non preemptible kernels are suited for servers
> Voluntary preempt. kernels for desktops
> Full preempt kernels for low latency desktops.
>
> It's just a matter of how many people are going to use the
> distribution and with what purpose . I guess that a Red Hat Advanced
> Server delivers a non preempt. kernel.
>
> Cheers

Thanks for the reply!

So, what is the difference between "voluntary preemtible" kernels und
"preemtible" kernels (what is a low latency desktop?). Wwho is doing
what voluntarily here?

Would it be worth to recompile the kernel with "preemptible kernel"
enabled, as I'm using my linux installation on  a desktop machine? Or is
the gain only measurable but not noticeable?

Thanks and greets

Boris