YUM problems.

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Sep 26 19:06:02 UTC 2007

> [root at u15271166 etc]# yum list available
> Setting up repositories
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=x86_64
> error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
>
> My yum.conf looks like this...
>
> [root at u15271166 log]# cat /etc/yum.conf
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> retries=20
> obsoletes=1
> gpgcheck=1
>
> # PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
> # in /etc/yum.repos.d
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://update.onlinehome-server.info/fedora/linux/core
> /$releasever/$basearch/os/
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://update.onlinehome-server.info/fedora/linux/core
> /updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> Any help/ideas appreciated,

Is there any chance you are going through a proxy server?
I have the environment variables:
ftp_proxy
http_proxy
FTP_PROXY
HTTP_PROXY
set to our proxy server.  I suspect yum does not use them
all, but I have not tryied to narrow it down. Also, the
yum.conf file allows you to specify a proxy server there too.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ