Moving F7

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Sep 27 00:24:19 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 17:47 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> William Case wrote:
>>
>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> I am with Karl on this one.

>>> What is a module?  I have wondered about this for two years.
>>>
>>> "In computing, loadable kernel modules, or LKM, are object files that
>>> contain code to extend the running kernel, or so-called base kernel, of
>>> an operating system. Most current Unix-like systems, and Microsoft
>>> Windows, support loadable kernel modules, although they might use a
>>> different name for them, such as "kernel extension" ("kext") in Mac OS
>>> X. The Linux kernel generally makes far greater and more versatile use
>>> of LKM's than other systems. LKM's are typically used to add support for
>>> new hardware and/or filesystems, or for adding system calls. When the
>>> functionality provided by an LKM is no longer required, it can be
>>> unloaded in order to free memory.
>>>
>>> Without loadable kernel modules, an operating system would have to have
>>> all possible anticipated functionality already compiled directly into
>>> the base kernel. Much of that functionality would reside in memory
>>> without being used, wasting memory, and would require that users rebuild
>>> and reboot the base kernel every time new functionality is desired. Most
>>> OSes supporting loadable kernel modules will include modules to support
>>> most desired functionality.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadable_kernel_module
>>>

>>     I went to this web page and it says no-one understands this. What a
>> barfing crap that is. Why not just tell me?
>>

> I would tell you if I could.
>
> Karl, I copied this page to show others how little info there is on the
> subject of modules and how useless that info is as an answer for a
> simple question.  I.E.  What is a module?
>
> I agree with you.  I too want to know what a module is.  The questions I
> asked where potential answers that I hoped people who know more than me
> would use as a guide.
>

>>> "
>>>
>>> Are modules drivers with special C code wrapped around them so they can
>>> be loaded for use by the kernel?  Or,
>>>
>>> Are they just drivers by another name?  Or,
>>>
>>> Are they specially built drivers for Linux systems?  Or,
>>>
>>> Is some lower level program reconfiguring a new driver so that it has
>>> special properties for the use of the kernel?  Or,
>>>
>>> What?

Thanks Bill. My original question today was "how do you move F7 from
this IDE to a SATA hard drive?

I have got tiny tid bits of information. Now I have no where near the
total answer I was looking for, and now expect it will not be
forthcoming :-)

And so many times in my life I will just figure it out myself. Takes a
lot longer but at 72 years old I know some of the world likes to see you
unhappy.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User