"yum update" on almost identical machines updates kernel on only one machine

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 06:54:05 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> mysterious: I have two almost identical F7-machines (x86_64, Sun Fire V40Z): running "yum update"
> on both machines updates the kernel to  kernel-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 on only one machine, but not on the
> other machine. Both machines are (or were) running kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.x86_64.
>
> /etc/yum.repos.d are identical on both machines.
>
> All comments are welcome.
>
> --
> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
> University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
> Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
> D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany
> Phone: +49-631-205-2438, FAX: +49-631-205-3056
> http://hlrwm.rhrk.uni-kl.de/home/staff/backes.html

If you are using the mirrorslist to obtain a mirror you may be
encountering a fedora-infrastructure problem. Another poster was
complaining about yum failing to find any updates mirrors for his FC6
x86_64 boxes. Turned out that the mirror which is listed in the Fedora
Public Active Mirrors site for FC6-x86_64 does not have an updates
directory for that release. Try using a fixed mirror. Do verify that
the selected mirror actually has an updates directory.

I've posted the question regarding the mirrorslist to the
fedora-infrastructure mailing list. Don't know if the moderator will
let the message through since I'm not a registered member.