Identifying multiple wifi cards

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Fri Sep 28 07:25:57 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 15:47 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> > I have two wifi cards, wlan0 and wlan1, each using different drivers.
> > How can I tell which driver wlan1 is using?
> How about system-config-network and hardware option. The hardware should
> imply which driver is being used. Also found in
> System->Administration->Network.
>
> /etc/modprobe also should have this information.

My bad, I should have said that I wanted to get this info
programmaticly.*I* know which is which, but I don't want to configure
my scripts to know.

However, as you say system-config-network lists the hardware, so
having spent some quality time with a python debugger, the following
gives me what I need:

$ python -c 'import kudzu; print kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_NETWORK,
kudzu.BUS_UNSPEC,kudzu.PROBE_SAFE)'
[Desc:           Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express
Driver:         tg3
Device:         eth0
, Desc:           Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Driver:         iwl3945
Device:         wlan0
]