Recommendation for Fedora server?

ed at hp.uab.edu ed at hp.uab.edu
Sat Sep 29 22:43:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm planning on getting a home server,
> serving httpd, ssh, mysql, dovecot, etc,
> and running Fedora 7.
>
> I'd like something using as little energy as possible,
> given that I need 200-300GB in disk-space.
> But I don't need a monitor (or graphics card).
>
> Is anyone running such a system?
> If so, I'd be interested to hear the hardware details.

I have been running for four years a VIA C3 800Mhz computer, with 512MB of
RAM, and a pair of 80GB IDE drives. It pulls 45 watts from the wall when
idle - and 55 when 'crunching' away.

A current system could be a PC-Chips M789CG motherboard.

Sure its not fast, but works well as a university department listserve for
the students, a web site running moodle, and a file server for the staff.

For me, it was the lack of noise from the box that drove me to the VIA C3.
There is a passive heat sync on the CPU - with a quite case fan clearing
the heat.

I suspect that once the drives spin up, they don't draw any more then 9-10
watts.

Also, match the power supply to the load. If you only need 50 watts, do
not buy a 400 watt power supply. I think I have a 150 or 200 watt power
supply in my VIA C3 computer, LPX form factor.

ed