basic question about assigning ip address

Doug Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Sun Sep 30 00:44:50 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> I have a Fedora machine I'm using as a home server, without a keyboard
> or monitor. I'd like to set it up such that upon rebooting it first
> checks to see if there is a DHCP server on the network, and if so, grabs
> an ip address from it.  But if there isn't one, it assigns itself a
> static address.  Is this doable?
>
> Thank you.

Maybe this will help.

It looks like this is controlled by dhclient(1), though I'm
using a fixed IP, so I haven't tested.  If a DHCP client has
connected to a server and obtained a lease, previously, it
should revert to the old lease (if it hasn't expired) when
it can't reach the server on reboot.

Old leases are maintained in /var/lib/dhclient and in
/var/lib/dhcp.

- DAW