Specifying tmp for tar

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 09:23:52 UTC 2007

On 01/09/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I have a 2 GB bz2 archive that unzips to over 10 GB (wikipedia dump).
> > Although I have over 50 GB free in /home, / has only about 8 GB free.
> > Thus, as tar uses /tmp, the / filesystem fills up and I cannot
> > continue. How can I specify a tmp directory for tar in my home
> > directory? Note that man tar makes no mention of a tmp option.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> Dumb question - does it help to create a /tmp directory in your home
> directory and run "export TMP=$home/tmp"? (I don't remember if bzip2
> and tar honor TMP.)
>
> Mikkel

Thanks, but that did not work either. The / filesystem did not fill
up, but I got this error:

ubuntu at ubuntu-laptop:~/Desktop$ tar xjf enwiki-20070802-pages-articles.xml.bz2
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
ubuntu at ubuntu-laptop:~/Desktop$

Maybe the archive is bad?

Dotan Cohen