C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Sep 1 13:36:09 UTC 2007

Chris Jones writes:

>> 1) Is it possible to cross-compile on Linux 32 bit to produce an
>> executable for the 64bit architecture Linux as well as 32 bit?
>
> No, I don't think a 32bit only processor can produce 64bit binaries. The other

It's not the question of processor, but rather compiler support.

This is certainly doable, you just have to build your own custom version of
binutils, and gcc, that cross compile to elf_x86-64.

But all of this is irrelevant. The stupid reasons why one has to do this --
target Win64 binaries on a Win32 box -- simply do not exist on Linux. If you
intend to run 64 bit binaries, you can just build them directly on the 64
bit hardware. It's not like you'll have to pay a small fortune for a native
64 bit Linux compiler, like you'd have to for a 64 bit version of Visual
Studio, so none of that nonsense is really needed.