C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Sep 1 14:01:41 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 05:23:18 -0600, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Is it possible to cross-compile on Linux 32 bit to produce an
>>> executable for the 64bit architecture Linux as well as 32 bit?
>>>

>>    In Linux Bo, if you want to write in 64 bit you load the version of
>> Fedora 7 that is totally 64 bit. This is the f7 x86-64 distribution and
>> different than Microsoft, you can download this free. Then you can
>> compile in C or C++ with 64 bit. No need to cross/compile.
>>

> Yes, I understand that in 64bit Linux you would be able to compile for
> the 64bit platform....
> But our development machines are mostly (95%) Windows 32bit systems
> and I had in mind to use VirtualPC in order to have the developers
> running Linux on their own Windows machines for compiles etc.
> Then we would use a single hardware Linux machine for actual testing.
>
> Unfortunately VirtualPC2007 does not support loading anything else
> than 32 bit operating systems into a virtual machine, so we are left
> with that. We use VPC2007 a lot for testing purposes, so we are
> comfortable with that system except for the 64bit support (or lack
> thereof).
>
> Bo Berglund

    Hi Bo, sorry but I am ignorant about Windows. I have been just Linux
for many years. Each year Linux seems to get better. That doesn't seem
to hold for Windows. I think WindowsXP with all the updates is a pretty
good operating system. Vista seems to have been an error.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User