How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Sep 1 15:28:35 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora 7 in VirtualPC 2007 and I have gotten to
> the first restart after the install has completed.
> At this point one must boot the dVD in rescue mode in order to change
> xorg.conf so that the default color depth is not 24 (can be anything
> but 24 but this particular value is incompatible with VPC2007).
>
> So I was adviced to do it this way, however they did not tell me *how*
> one can edit a file in Linux....
> Using more I can see that the file is set for 24 bit depth and I just
> need to change that to 16 and I'm done.
>
> (Forgot to say that I am a Windows user, completely green at Linux...)
>
> Detailed instructions on how to start a command line editor for this
> file would be appreciated as well as how to save and exit from it.
>
> Bo Berglund

    When you mount your system to the rescue linux you can then change
directory cd to the /etc/X11 directory on your new linux. There you will
see xorg.conf. You can edit this file with joe which I use. It is a
wordstar ascii editor that is very good. To save changes use ctr-k x.
    However looking in mine I see no way to change the number of colors.
But you can read the man page. In a linux Terminal type man xorg.conf
and you will get all you wanted to know. Setting screen depth and such
is near the last section in the man pages.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User