F7 installer running very, very slowly [resolved]

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Sun Sep 2 10:19:30 UTC 2007

I thought it worth posting the solution to this problem for anyone else
with a Dell Poweredge 2300 server.

There is a bios setting for CPU speed.  The options on the server I am
working on are: 450MHz and "Compatible".

I had switched the original 450 MHz CPU for a pair of 550MHz CPUs.  To
get the server to recognize them I had to set the CPU speed setting in
the bios to "compatible".

For whatever reason, that seems to mean run extraordinarily slow.
Switching to a 450 and using a pair of 450 CPUs solved the problem.
Machine is running very nicely.  Currently working through the F7 install.

Langdon