Turning on Sub-pixel hinting

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:33:08 UTC 2007

Em Dom 02 Set 2007, Todd Zullinger escreveu:
> Martin Hooper wrote:
> > How can I turn on sub-pixel hinting?
>
> You need to rebuild the freetype srpm.  Both subpixel rendering and
> the bytecode interpreter are patent encumbered and disabled by
> default.  The comments in the spec file do explain how you can
> rebuild with either of them enabled.
>
> You're on your own in determining whether that is legal in your
> location (and/or whether you are concerned about it :).

I've turned it on on KDE without recompiling freetype. However, I've
seen this orientation in some places around the net... Don't know if
I'd get better results recompiling it, but the quality of fonts now are
fairly satisfactory in my LCD display, so I didn't try.
However, my bold fonts are a bit strange in F7, this did not happen in
FC6. I have to run some tests yet, though.
For the original poster, if you want to setup this in KDE, go to Control
Center - Appearance and Themes -> Fonts. Set "Use antialiasing"
to "Enabled" and click the "Configure" button. However, I usually get
better results editing /etc/fonts/local.conf. Also, editing this file,
the changes are applied to all users without having to reconfigure
their profiles one bye one. Here is a copy of my /etc/fonts/local.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>