Multiple linuxes with grub and one boot partition

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 20:59:07 UTC 2007

Cliff Avey wrote:
> I've got an FC3 system build with /boot (and grub) on hda1, swap on
> hda2, / (root) on hda5 (extended partition) and /var on hda6. I'd like
> to install a separately booted FC7 on this box and add it to my main
> grub menu. I'm thinking the following would work, but I'd appreciate
> some advice if this is a reasonable way to go. I thought I'd create new
> hda7 and hda8 partitions for the root of the new FC7 and /var
> respectively and install FC7 there, with no separate partition for
> /boot. I'd then copy the kernel from /boot on hda7 by hand to hda1,
> update the grub menu on hda1, delete the /boot dir on hda7 and edit the
> fstab on the FC7 system to mount hda1 as /boot.
>
> Is there a more straightforward way to accomplish this, or is this the
> way to do it? Alternatively, can I make the FC7 installer to add its
> kernel to my existing boot (hda1 partition), not reformat that partition
> or erase the other kernels, and not blow away my existing grub menu? Or
> do I really want to create a second boot partition (maybe on hda3) for FC7?

I do much as Tom describes and chainload the other versions of Linux.
You basically use the advanced bootloader options when installing a new
Fedora version. You choose to install it in the corresponding /dev/sdx
location which the GUI advanced options should offer along with the
install to MBR which i the default install location.
You then add an entry in the installation which is in the MBR to
chainload the installation as your primary menu.
Different distributions.

Jim

--
Everything is controlled by a small evil group to which, unfortunately,
no one we know belongs.