C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Sep 3 20:27:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 10:02 -0700, Peter J. Stieber wrote:
> BB = Bo Berglund
> BB>> 3) The program is written in C++, would there be big
> BB> porting issues moving it from Windows to Linux, code-wise?
>
> SV = Sam Varshavchik
> SV> That depends upon what libraries your C++ code uses.
> SV> If it uses Windows-specific libraries, any GUI libraries,
> SV> they are obviously not available on Linux.
>
> Sam,
>
> I work at a company where we use wxWidgets (http://www.wxwidgets.org/)
> for all of our GUI development in C++.  All of our apps our built to run
> on 32-bit Windows using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and both 32-bit and
> 64-bit versions of Fedora using GCC.  Fedora, via yum, provides a
> packaged version of wxWidgets, but we usually build it from the
> wxWidgets SVN repository.
>
> No code modifications are required to build the apps on Windows vs.
> Fedora, so I guess I would disagree with your statement "any GUI
> libraries, they are obviously not available on Linux", but I would agree
> that most projects do not consider cross-platform GUI development when
> they are initially developed, so they are not using a library like
> wxWidgets.
>
> Hope that helps with any cross-platform GUI development anyone out there
> is considering.

Qt is also cross-platform, and there are GTK+ and Glade ports for
Windows as well.  The standard Win32 GUI is not available for Linux,
though, AFAIK, other than via Wine.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences