How many nfs daemons needed on a system with nfs mounts?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 03:21:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a master with a harddisk, and 8 diskless clients, configured as
a cluster on a internal network.

These diskless clients mount their root, /home, /usr and /opt directories
over nfs from the master.

When I do a "netstat -a | grep nfs" on each client, I see that each
client has three ESTABLISHED tcp connections for nfs:

tcp        0      0 client1:797    master:nfs       ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 client1:798    master:nfs       ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 client1:795    master:nfs       ESTABLISHED

Hence, that sums up to 8 clients times three is 24 connections altogether.
Is it then better to also have 24 nfsd daemons running on the master?
At the moment I have only 8 nfsd daemons on the master (the default).

I wonder what is the 'formula' to improve performance with nfs
on the master side.

Thank you,
Rob.