Installing Fedora7 in a VirtualPC2007 guest?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Sep 4 05:42:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:54:58 -0600, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:53:20PM +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> This is a more appropriate subject for the thread where I would like
>> to get some advice on how to actually succeed in getting Fdora7 to run
>> in a virtual machine under Microsoft VPC2007.
>

>> 1) VPC2007 emulates a Trio64 video card, but unfortunately not 100%.
>> The 24 bit color depth mode is not supported unless the VESA driver is
>> used. The S3 Trio64 driver's usage of 24 bit color breaks the display
>> completely.
>>
>> 2) VPC2007 emulates the keyboard and mouse as PS/2 devices. THis was
>> not a problem until recently when the Linux kernel acquired a bug of
>> sorts when it does not recognize the PS/2 mouse out of the box. No
>> mouse means no install...
>
>I don't use Microsoft products, including VPC2007, so this is a guess,
>not a known working solution.
>
>To avoid both of these, I would try a text only installation. At the
>end of installation, before rebooting, I would edit /etc/inittab to
>come up in run level 3 (no X).
>
>You can then reboot, and use system-config-display to set up the
>display. Once you have the display where you want it, and you are
>comfortable that you can restart X multiple times, change the run
>level to 5 if you like.
>
>You can always boot into run level 3 by appending " 3" to the command
>line in grub.

I modified the start options on the first boot by adding 3 to the list
of parameters I used previously.
THis brought up a character based set of screens that were much like
the ones I had glimpsed behind the graphics mess on the graphics
screens. :-)
So I used these to continue the install through. When I was done
Fedora started a sequence of commands on the black character screen
and finally stopped at the screen I am currently on with a prompt:

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
Kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 on an i686
localhost login:

THis did not happen in the graphics version, I seem to recall just
this line there too but then Fedora automatically continued, now it
just sits there.
What am I supposed to do now? Remember that this is the very first
boot after installing the files so there are no user accounts created
yet for example. That is supposed to happen in the following screens.

Seems that I got further in any case and maybe I am on to something...

Do I log in as root maybe?

Bo Berglund