using Miro

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Sep 4 06:47:23 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:

> on checking, I found some elements of Xine installed, but not Xine itself.

Hmm, I had xine installed but when I uninstalled it miro still seemed to
work.

> I'm running an nVidia card with the nVidia
> drivers, and the results are stunning on the one video I just watched, a
> little 'Hubblecast' from NASA/ESA on the Hubble telescope images from a
> SuperNova

On second look, the problem is not my video card/driver.  True, high-def
videos are tough on vesa (I'm looking forward to a new computer with a
good Intel graphics card with a FOSS driver), but I was experiencing
massive slowdowns playing videos in Miro.  And thinking back videos from
the same channel (so not a resolution issue) played fine in miro before.

The videos still play outside of miro, which indicates either:

a. Miro is slowing it down by background activities (e.g. checking
channels, downloading videos).

b. Bug in miro/xine lib.

I just took some steps to alleviate problem a.

1. Limit downloads to 3 at once.
2. Disable automatic downloads on all channels (may selectively reenable
later).
3. Specify manual checking for channel updates

But miro's still so slow it's unusable (I have to force quit) when
videos are playing, so I don't think that's it.

Again, I can play the videos in mplayer or xine (except if you quit xine
while certain videos are playing it crashes X).

Matt Flaschen