Downloading Movies From Cameras In Fedora 7 (Was: Canon Elura 100 Camcorder and FC5)

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Wed Sep 5 03:51:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 23:28 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
> > I gave my wife a Canon Elura 100 camcorder for Christmas. I just
> > watched her download her very first movie to Windows XP. Can I do the
> > same in Fedora Core 5?  If I just plugged in the camcorder to my
> > onboard 1394 port, will an application come up recognizing the
> > camcorder and offering to download the movie from the DV tape?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bob
> >
> Can anyone offer me updated advice for doing the above under Fedora 7? I
> connected my Elura 100 camcorder to my Fedora 7 system over a 1394
> cable, and nothing happened. Can Totem do this by itself? Or do I still
> need additional software? Which repos should I get the software from?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

It looks like your camera is a canon and it supports PTP.  So you
_should_ be able to use 'gphoto2' to get the movies out of your
camcorder:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OSCompatibilityArchiveAct&fcategoryid=2115&keycode=macdr

Something like 'gphoto2 -L' should work with your camera.  This should
give you a list of what's on your camera.  'gphoto2 -P' should pull all
the files on your camcorder onto your computer.

According to gphoto2 --list-cameras, your model 100 isn't supported yet,
however you may be able to 'trick' it into working with some of the
'expert options':
  --port=FILENAME                 Specify port device
  --speed=SPEED                   Specify serial transfer speed
  --camera=MODEL                  Specify camera model
  --usbid=USBIDs                  (expert only) Override USB IDs

If it doesn't work out of the box for you with gphoto2, but does work
with some of the expert options, contact me off list and we can get it
directly integrated into gphoto2.

Sean