curious about fedora-shipped "initramfs" image?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 5 09:05:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Ian Malone wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   and where does one find utilities like "setquiet"?  since the
> > contents of the initramfs are being run in userspace, where does
> > one find init-referenced utilities like setquiet, hotplug and
> > mkblkdevs, among others?  they're not part of the initramfs image,
> > so where do they come from?  (and, yes, i'm prepared for that to
> > be a stupid question. :-)
>
> Nash builtins: http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/nash8.html

fair enough, but something tells me that that man page (and,
consequently, the one shipped with nash) is incomplete.

i'm assuming that any command in the initramfs nash "init" script has
to come from one of two places, no?

1) built-in nash command, or
2) actual executable in the cpio initramfs directory structure (under
/bin)

so "mount" is a built-in nash command, as is "setquiet," as is "echo,"
as "mkdir," as is ... hang on ... what's with "hotplug"?  it's not
listed in the man page, and it's not a separate executable.  so what's
the story with "hotplug"?  and "mkblkdevs" for that matter?  if
they're nash built-ins, they're certainly not mentioned in the man
page.

or am i missing something?

rday
Robert P. J. Day