Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 5 09:22:51 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:

> So then I started a command window and inside that I used su to become
> root.

A better way is to just open the command window, *don't* use su, and run:

gksudo gedit

> But using nano was a disaster, because after adding the extra
> parameters somehow nano split the kernel command line into two
> separate lines

I don't know how that happened.  But like I said, you don't have to use
nano.

> Is there a linux utility like the Windows chkdsk that can be used to
> repair the disk if it is corrupted? If so, how is it used?

fsck.  With the disks unmounted (best way is to do it from the Live CD),
You have to run something like:

fsck /dev/sda1

sda1 should be replaced with the actual partition you want to check
(it'll be sd then a letter and digit).  With the disks mounted, run:

ls /dev/sd*

If you don't know which partition to check, you can do them all.  Just
make sure the partition is unmounted.

As Tim said, if you have questions about fsck, feel free to ask.

Matt Flaschen