Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 5 13:10:05 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> So then I started a command window and inside that I used su to become
> root. Then I used nano to edit grub.conf. I did that after first
> trying the text editor again (now with root in the command window) but
> it still would not allow me to edit grub.conf. Seems like the su in
> the command window is only valid inside the command window itself.
> Is there a way to start the text editor as root????

You have to enter the name of the editor on the command line. You
can use GUI as well as CLI editors.

> But using nano was a disaster, because after adding the extra
> parameters somehow nano split the kernel command line into two
> separate lines and when I subsequently restarted I got back to the
> garbled initial screens and finally to a situation where I could not
> move the mouse anymore. So I had to *reset* the machine and use
> command line parameters from the boot screen once more to get back in.

You need to turn of word wrap. With nano, try "nano -w <file name>".

> Then I logged on as root and could use text editor to modify
> grub.conf. That is when I saw that the previous edit with nano had
> actually managed to create two lines out of the single kernel line!
>
> So I think it is safer to log on as root the first time so that the
> final setup chores can all be accomplished without permission
> problems.
>
> By the way:
> When I had to reset the machine to get control back I probably did so
> at a not so good time, because on each boot now the loader complains
> about disk corruption. It flashes by so fast that I can't say exactly
> what it says, but definitely about the disk.
> Is there a linux utility like the Windows chkdsk that can be used to
> repair the disk if it is corrupted? If so, how is it used?

fsck - but it works best on unmount file systems. AN easy way to
check all the file systems is to run, as root,
"touch /.autofsck ; reboot". This command will reboot the system as
soon as you run it, so make sure you are ready for a reboot.

Mikkel