kernel panic

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Sep 5 21:03:19 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I found this on Google but it doesn't help me much:
>>
>> echo "Loading scsi_mod module"
>> insmod /lib/scsi_mod.o echo "Loading sd_mod module"
>> insmod /lib/sd_mod.o echo "Loading cpqarray module"
>> insmod /lib/cpqarray.o echo "Loading jbd module"
>> insmod /lib/jbd.o echo "Loading ext3 module"
>> insmod /lib/ext3.o mount -t proc /proc /proc
>> echo Mounting /proc filesystem
>> echo Creating root device
>> mkrootdev /dev/root
>>
>> This seems to be where /dev/root comes from. And my kernel can't find
>> it for some reason.
>>

>> echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
>> umount /proc
>> echo Mounting root filesystem
>> mount --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
>> pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
>
> There is a point in the boot sequence where the bios-loaded kernel
> trades the initrd RAM disk image (also bios loaded) for the real root
> partion mount point.  Several things can go wrong here. Grub may have
> told the kernel to look in the wrong place for the root file system,
> the file system might be unreadable, or you may have moved the system
> onto a machine with a different type of disk controller that needs a
> different driver module included on the initrd.  The main reason you
> need the initrd is to load drivers for the root filesystem if they
> aren't compiled into the kernel but it will only include ones for the
> the machine where the system was originally installed. If you can
> access the disk, somewhere in the boot messages you should see it
> detecting the device and partitions.  If you don't see that, the
> kernel can't see the disk and you'll have to rebuild the initrd with
> the right module.

    Initrd has to be the problem Les. I have had the old hard drive on
this new box and I was surprised that FC6 would boot up but F7 did what
it has done all along. Now I did load a new F7 on the old hard drive and
it booted up fine. So this info backs up my belief that initrd is the
problem.

    I will now try and find out HowTo rebuild initrd from a Rescue cd :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User