Updates available, what do they do?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 5 21:54:27 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> My newly installed Fedora7 has discovered no less than 183 updates it
> suggests I install.
> In the list of updates there are a few marked with blue double arrows
> to the left.
> What does this mean?
>
> One of these is a kernel update, I don't think I'd chance that because
> it may probably disrupt my running machine given that its platform is
> a VPC2007 virtual machine...
>
> So what is the recommended procedure here?
> - Uncheck the kernel and click OK?
> - keep the kernel check?
>
> Bo Berglund

You should be able to update the kernel along with the rest. The
kernel is handled a bit different then other packages in that you
usually have more then one kernel installed at a time. Yum will not
remove the running kernel. You can control how many copies of the
kernel you keep in your yum configuration file. The default is 2 -
the running kernel, and the newest one.

Mikkel