Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 5 21:09:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:15:56 +0930, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 07:02 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I actually first tried that, logging in as myself. But when I wanted
>> to edit grub.conf using the text editor it would not allow me and I
>> could not see any way of starting the text editor with root priviliges
>> either.
>
>You'd issue the command for it from within that command line interface.
>That sort of thing (having a separate CLI window for root) is the usual
>way of starting things with root privileges when you're logged in as
>yourself.

Then I have to know what command actually starts the GUI text editor,
and I don't...

I used nano because that was the only one that I could start from the
rescue console prompt when I tried to manually edit xorg.conf (see
thread about editing xorg.conf).
A good many years ago I tried to install RedHat (some early version)
on a physical machine and was adviced to use vi as editor. Basically
they gave me the command line to start vi with a file loaded, but
forgot to say how one gets out again. Had to scrap that installation
because when I switched off the PC (only way out I found) it corrupted
the hard disk...
So I am not very keen on command line editors, really.

But being in a Virtual Machine with undo disks changes the game so I
could try it out and for modifying xorg.conf nano worked all right.
But that path was no good anyway as I later found out.
The only procedure I have found thta *really* works is the one I
listed. When I did it the final round I tokk about 40 screenshots as
well for each en every step on the way. I intend to post directions
somewhere so others may benefit.
Note:
It is only about getting Fedora7 on to a VPC2007 virtual machine!

And I have my own machine running fine now so this discussion is
really about the "best" way to do things. And I agree it would be
safer to log on as the non-root user instead of root, just as long as
grub.conf could be edited.

Why is there not a graphic tool to configure the boot options?
Such a tool should be very valuable especially if it could provide a
list of all valid kernel parameters and what they accomplish....

>> Seems like the su in the command window is only valid inside the
>> command window itself.
>
>Correct.
>
>> Is there a way to start the text editor as root????
>
>>From that CLI...  You've got a plethora of editors to call on, gedit,
>pico, nano, vi, vim, gvim, emacs, joe, etc., depending on what you've
>installed, of course.

All are character based command window editors, I gather?

Bo Berglund