FC6 mount ntfs-3g problem.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:26:37 UTC 2008

Charles Sullivan wrote:
> How can I mount a USB external drive (SimpleTech 320 GB) as a normal
> user?
>
> If as a normal user I run 'mount /[mount_point]', there's no error message
> but the device is not mounted.  As root the same command mounts the
> device and I am thereafter able to read and write to it as a normal user.
>
> Here's what I've got. What else do I need to do?

Try the ntfs-config package.  This will give you an 'NTFS configuration
tool' (in applications|system tools in FC6), which should make setting
this up easier.  There is one possible problem with your fstab, but I'm
not convinced that's what's wrong.

>   $ ls -l /bin/ntfs-3g
>   -rwsrwxrwx 1 root root 39052 Nov  8 13:59 /bin/ntfs-3g

I'd note that here, and below, this file should not be world writeable
(the only things in /bin that should be are links).

>   In /etc/fstab:
>   /dev/sda1  /simple  ntfs-3g noauto,users,rw,umask=0  0 0

I can't see anything obviously wrong with these options.  Except that
there's no uid specified.  The following is what I've got:
/dev/sda1 /media/FreeAgent ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0

I've had a go at setting the users option and see the same behaviour as
you on FC6 (silent failure to mount).  I don't know if this is fixed in
later versions.

>   $ ls -dl /simple
>   drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr  1 23:18 /simple

Is this what it looks like with the device mounted or without?  The
mount point directory  does not actually need these permissions, as they
are over-ridden by the mounted filesystem.

>   $ ls -l /dev/sd*
>   brw-rw-rw- 1 root      disk 8, 0 Apr  1 23:58 /dev/sda
>   brw-rw-rw- 1 cwsulliv  disk 8, 1 Apr  2 00:10 /dev/sda1

Again, these are too permissive, should be 'brw-r-----', have you
changed them?

--
imalone