Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 2 14:31:49 UTC 2008

Les wrote:
> Actually, Microsoft was a late comer to personal computers.  I own
> (still) an Altair 8800B, and owned a
> Morrow Microdecision before that, both on CP/M.  And prior to that I had
> systems that ran various other OS's
> that were a bit more limited, and one straight bootstrap system for
> which you had to furnish an OS of your favorite
> flavor.  Microsoft did not create, or really enable personal computers,
> they just got the contract to write the OS for IBM, and were able to
> bootstrap that into the corporation you see today.

Microsoft's entry into the personal computer market was by supplying
a version of BASIC that for several operating systems. I can
remember loading it from tape, and later burning it to EPROM with a
small relocation program to move it into RAM at the address it
expected to run. (It was not relocatable...)

Mikkel