[OT]: Ho wto find files created on a specific date

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 2 15:13:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 11:01 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Craig White wrote, On 04/02/2008 10:49 AM:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 10:40 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> >
> >> cd /tmp
> >> touch --date="March 20" test20
> >> touch --date="March 21" test21
> >> find /opt/html/ -type f -newer test20 > list1
> >> find /opt/html/ -type f -newer test21 > list2
> > ----
> > nice...this is very elegant
> >
> > I need to file this away somewhere that I actually have a chance to find
> > this when I need it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Craig
> >

> and after seeing Mr. Haney's message I looked at the find man page a bit...
>
> find /opt/html/ -type f -newer test20 -not -newer test21
>
> same list as I got from the diff |grep, but without the need to sed, and it
> _probably_ could be carefully combined with the -exec option of find to do the rm.
>
> Open Source Scripting on the Fedora list.:)
----
open source scripting on the list is a good way to learn.

I tend to stay away from combo commands that are destructive for obvious
reasons and yes, though the 'exec' command would work, and I started
down the path, I know that I would prefer just to have a file list to
examine first and then just cat the list to the rm command as a measure
of safety.

What I have also found that learning to live with grep and sed is making
my life much easier rather than complicating it.

Craig