Punch Cards.

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 2 16:41:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:20 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:56:54 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
> > I can remember writing a BASIC program that let you type in, and
> > edit code, and would them write it to mag tape.
>
> Someone mentioned flow charts.  I'm pretty sure I still have my flow chart
> diagramming stencil in a drawer if I got ambitious enough to go looking for it.
> It's a plastic ruler with cut-outs for all of the different shapes (boxes,
> curves, etc.) that you put on a flow chart diagram which you can trace off of
> the ruler instead of having to draw them by hand.  I never was much of an
> artist....

I'm with you.  Flowcharting software is much easier and more readable.
Too bad more programmers don't use it.

But today the "RAD" movement dispenses with design of any kind, formal
or informal, at least as it is taught.  And please lets all kill the
phrase "Self Documenting Code".  If it were self documenting, it
wouldn't be called code.

Regards,
Les H