Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 2 20:36:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:49 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Don't forget flow charts - you were always supposed to start by flow
> charting the problem before generating any code.

Hmm, wasn't quite the way we were taught.  Although we were taught to
use them, we generally started off with a design brief; then an outline
of your variables, controls, and the basic premise behind your program's
technique; then you started writing code using mnemonics (*); then you'd
write out the op codes for those mnemonics, along with their data (*YOU*
were the compiler); then you'd manually enter it into your
microcomputer.

If your program used complex conditionals, then you might bother with a
flowchart where you're designing your program technique.  But we usually
did that in our heads.

* mnemonics are abbreviations for CPU operational codes, like "LDA" for
LoaD the following data into the A accumulator (pretty much like writing
in assembler).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.