BBC news 24 video in F8?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:17:22 UTC 2008

Mike C wrote:
> Does anyone (mainly in the UK) get BBC news 24 video to play nicely in F8.
>
> I can go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/ and click on the BBC news 24 link near
> the top of the page. It plays in the new window that pops up with repeated
> flashing green on the image.  I have Real_10 installed and select to play
> in Real 10.
>
> I also have mplayer installed, and VLC.
>
> However once the video is playing I can select to "launch in stand alone
> player" and on one machine this works ok but on another machine with
> an nvidia graphics card (and using kmod-nvidia) the colours are wrong
> with green and red hues in the wrong places!
>
> Does anyone have a link to a how-to for playing BBC news video in F8
> that I could try?

Afraid not, until recently it had been broken for a fairly long time (as
they do some funny javascript controls for the embedded player).
However, you can try running realplayer, then going to
preferences|hardware and turning 'use XVideo' off (or on, whichever
applies), then closing it and trying the BBC stream again.  On FC6 this
works for me with an nvidia display.

If that doesn't work you could try a nightly build realplayer; see
http://forms.helixcommunity.org/helix/builds/ current, and the
linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586 at rhel4 and linux-2.6-glibc23-amd64 options
(i586 is probably a better bet, even on x86_64).  You should make a note
of whatever sound settings you're using at the moment before trying that
though, as the nightly builds don't agree with Pulseaudio.

--
imalone