nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 3 22:31:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:40:29AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> .. but this is a Bad Thing when it comes to nvdia, because the next time
>>> you reboot, X won't start for a few days.  In fact, most kmdls are pretty
>>> important for day-to-day operations.  Clearly I can see how someone else
>>> would want it to work the way you designed it, but that SO doesn't work
>>> for me.
>>
>> Well, one can change the plugin to behave as you want, but indeed most
>> users wanted to be asyncronous and not be held back by any third party
>> in getting their vendor updates.
>>
>> If you want to experiment: In the loop where it checks whether a kmdl
>> exists or not just add in the case of a failure for a lookup to unmark
>> the kernel for installation. Or to add UPDATEDEFAULT=no to
>> /etc/sysconfig/kernel before installing it.
>>

> What you are discussing is exactly what dkms is supposed to correct.
>
> dkms(8) - Linux man page
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms
>
> dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built for
> each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.
>

> Since I moved to dkms, I have not had any issues with nvidia drivers on any
> machine.  :)

The drivers break every few kernel upgrades, whether it's dkms or kmdl
doesn't matter. So you need to go back to the vendor and ask for a new
copy of the packages anyway.

And with kmdls you don't have to expose your system by installing
compilers and a whole development suite just for creating dkms built
modules.

But dkms does have it's benefits, which is why kmdl2 [1] has dkmdls :)

[1] Soon at an ATrpms mirror near you.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net