DDNS and fedora

Waleed Harbi waleed.harbi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 08:15:36 UTC 2008

Hi Da Rock,

It will much better if you draw your network diagram or explain it because
some network devices support DDNS suck as Linksys, I have found this links
explain how to configure DDNS on FC4 it should be same:

http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_dynamic_dns
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dynamic-dns-setup-for-either-fedora-core-client-584754/
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/HowTo_Configure_DHCP_and_DNS_Servers

I hope they are useful...

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:37 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:15 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > > I have a ddns network, which does work but it needs to have the
> hostname
> > > sent to it. Ie; dhclient -H works, but unless it is run manually the
> > > forward and reverse mapping is not done by dhcpd.
> > >
> > > I checked that dhclient.conf has send hostname in it, but I doubt very
> > > much that it is being read as I have made changes there to no effect.
> > > believe somewhere in the scripting there is an issue- the hostname
> > > settings getting overridden or something.
> > >
> > > I've checked the man pages, and they say to only adjust dhclient.conf,
> > > or add hooks. I've adjusted the hostname settings everywhere (not
> > > simultaneously) to see if it'll work- ng.
> > >
> > > Anyone else got ddns to work here and know what's missing? BTW I'm
> > > testing on a wifi connection, but I doubt thats the problem.
> >
> > Which version of Fedora are you using?  I'm guessing 8, but that's only
> > a guess.  It may affect the answers you'll get.
> >
> > Post your dhclient.conf file, so people can see what you've done.
> >
> > Tell us more about your DHCP server, too.  Versions, configuration
> > details, etc.
> >
> > I'm not using FC8, but I do use dynamic DNS tied in with my DHCP server,
> > clients get assigned addresses, their names get entered into the local
> > DNS, and I haven't had to customise their dhclient.conf files for it.
>
> My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for this).
> According to all information available on the matter the dhclient.conf
> is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for automation. And I
> have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I have to hack
> to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the scripting
> information says to customise the conf file... but this doesn't work.
>
> Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but if it
> matters I'm running 8.
>
> --

Yours,
Waleed Harbi
If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep