ssh only after login

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Apr 4 16:08:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 16:39 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 04/04/2008 alle 08.14 -0600, Aaron Konstam ha scritto:
>
> > If you are saying that your laptop using f7 males a wireless connection
> > before you login that sounds strange unless you are using a version
> > you compiled yourself from the latest version in the database.
> No, No, i use the standard RPM, I talk about a wired connection.
>
> Wireless work only when I login ...

Then I believe you had something else going on, as NetworkManager has
not (to this point) had the capability to start a connection on its own.

If you started the network service (as opposed to NetworkManager)
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 was set to start on boot,
then that would explain the behavior you saw.

> This work only in F7 ... with F8 i must login for get an IP via DHCP and
> NM, and (for me) this is not correct.

If you want this behavior in F8, set NM_CONTROLLED=no and ONBOOT=yes
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (and vice versa in your
wireless script), and set the network service to start on boot.

In F9, I believe NetworkManager will be able to control your devices on
boot if you want, or on login.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences