Punch Cards.

npr at bottlehall.co.uk npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 19:37:54 UTC 2008

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 04:51 -0400, Ed Gurski wrote:
>> The card reader jams were common and so was the old drum/chain printers
>> --- jamming paper during a printout was common.
>
> And did you ever have someone dead loop their program sending form-feeds
> to a printer in another room, the wrong printer, that nobody saw
> churning its way through an entire box of paper?  The really big A3
> blue-stripe fan-fold.  Even worse when the paper-output spills out of
> the hopper...  ;-)
>
> --
> (This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

> --

For some reason, your email reminded me of an 'incident' where DEC loaned
us a couple of brand new DECstations to try out. I got one and my boss got
the other. I fairly quickly discovered that you could make the disc sound
like a  vacuum cleaner by doing some house-keeping command. And even
better, you could this from one machine to the other. So I used to do this
to his machine, in his office, from the comfort of my office.

You can imagine the feedback meeting where we were asked to comment on our
experience of these super-duper new machines. Everything was fine until my
boss comes up with a long moan about how his computer used to make noises
like, you've guessed it, a vacuum cleaner, for no apparent reason...

I do hope I had nothing to do with DEC's demise...

Nick