Sound on Fedora-8: what a mess!

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Apr 4 22:31:32 UTC 2008

Brian Mury wrote:

>> There seem to be a vast number of sound applications
>> competing for use.
>
> Yes, and that is not a bad thing. There are a lot of car companies
> selling different cars too. Choice is good. Use what you like, don't use
> what you don't like.

By "competing for use" I mean "competing for use at the same time".
I don't mind different file types linking to different programs,
as long as the link is reasonably transparent.
But I don't want several programs being linked to the same file-type,
as seems the case here, unless I am explicitly asked
which I want to use.

>> What exactly is the relation between pulseaudio and amarok?
>
> In a nutshell: Amarok is an application for playing music. PulseAudio is
> a layer that sits between the application and the hardware.

I'm not sure what the second sentence means.
Why is pulseaudio sitting there?
And what exactly is its function in this case,
since amarok seems to work without it, and doesn't work with it?