Sound on Fedora-8: what a mess!

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Apr 5 14:48:09 UTC 2008

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

> Again, fix pulseaudio first. Try (not as root)
>
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio -D

I'm not able to start pulseaudio as a user:
--------------------------------
[tim at elizabeth ~]$ pulseaudio -D
W: polkit.c: Failed to show grant dialog: Unable to lookup exe for caller
W: polkit.c: PolicyKit responded with 'auth_admin_keep_always'
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was
requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us
priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate
PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the
RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.