Virtualizing Existing XP Install

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 02:21:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Tod <tod at stthomasepc.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
>  Is my plan valid?  I'd like to avoid re-installing XP but I will if I need
> to.  I plan on sticking with Fedora so I'd appreciate recommendations on
> virtualization software.  This is running on an old AMD Athlon machine so no
> dual processing going on.

Forgot to add my hardware specs for compairson.

I have run XP on top of Fedora 7 & 8 (Also tried vmware under 7). I
have found VirtualBox to be more light weight and seems to consume
less resources overall.

I have a Athlon 64 3000+ w/ 1GB of memory. XP is usable and most of
the less demanding actions could even be considered "snappy". Just be
careful of how much memory you allocate to the virtual machine and
don't try to use to many programs.

Richard